When you crave a hearty breakfast for a long day of sightseeing or outdoor activities, this casserole is guaranteed to satisfy.
- 1 lb. of pre-cooked chicken sausage, any flavor (I like mozzarella and roasted garlic) diced into small pieces
- 12 oz fresh slicked mushrooms, or you could use canned (if you use canned you omit the saute in olive oil)
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 slices of bread, crust removed ( I use sourdough) butter one side
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 1 7 oz can chopped green chiles
- 2 cups shredded cheese ( I use cheddar)
- 1 small can of sliced black olives (if you’re not an olive person, just omit them)
Saute mushrooms in two tablespoons of olive oil over high heat until nicely browned, transfer to paper towel lined plate to drain.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, dry mustard and salt together.
Place the bread slices buttered side down in a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
Sprinkle sausage, and mushrooms evenly over bread slices. Sprinkle with scallions and green chiles. Sprinkle cheese over that. Pour the egg mixture over all the ingredients. Sprinkle olives over cheese.
Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator overnight.
Next morning, remove plastic wrap and place in preheated 350 degree oven for about 50 minutes, until knife inserted comes out clean. Let dish set for at least 10 minutes before cutting. It may need more time it will depend on your oven and if you are cooking more than one casserole at a time. ENJOY!
Camellia Rose Inn Bed and Breakfast
205 SE Seventh Street
Gainesville, FL 32601